Friday, March 19, 2010

Vegas and Family Fun!


Well, it's been nearly two weeks since we got back from our wonderful, sunny vacation. And two weeks from today I get to see my Momma! Yes!! I can’t wait!

We left Sunday morning for our flight to Vegas. Thank God for favor! The flights didn't look amazing, but we still made them. I was getting a little nervous, but we even made it to Vegas with some daylight to spare! My dad helped us arrange the best flights and, as always, did an awesome job!

The shuttle took us to our hotel, The Trump International Hotel | Las Vegas. I thought it was going to be much more “chincy” because of the Trump name, but it was actually so very nice and classy! We got a great deal on our five-star rooms that were truly fantastic. AND the hotel doesn't have a casino, so you don't have to walk through all the smoke and noise and lights and crap to get to your oasis.



The Lobby



Some pictures of our room



Our first night there we ate with Joe and Rose at a tucked-away restaurant called Bouchon (Bistro). It's a super nice place in the Venezia Tower with no big signs directing you there. In fact, it's near the private residential suites, so you have to pass by their security. Bouchon is part of the Thomas Keller French Laundry sensation. French Laundry is Keller's eatery in Napa Valley that every year makes its way into the Restaurant Magazine list of the Top 50 Restaurants of the World and has an extremely long reservation waiting list.


When you walk in, the aroma of sourdough fills your airways and then makes you immediately dreamy about what must be on the menu. The food was scrumptious. It seemed as though it was very thoughtfully prepared. I had an endive salad that could have doubled as an art piece and some bites of the most delicious gnocchi ever.



The next two days were quite eventful! Both Spence and I have been to Vegas several times now, and it really feels like one could never get it all done! On Monday we ate a big, delicious breakfast to fuel us for the day. Spence and I went on the New York, New York roller coaster which was really fun but quite rough, too!


Enjoying the day...


All of us went to the M&M Factory which is five floors of M&M madness with a huge wall of every color M&M there is and spouts for each if you give in to the temptation (we most certainly did!!).


We went up the Eiffel Tower and watched the Bellagio fountains from 500 feet above. The Hard Rock Café gave us a place to rest and get a snack before getting ready for that night’s show.



That night at Treasure Island we saw Mystère and WOW! It’s just a feast for the senses really. You watch with your mouth open the whole time! The feats of agility, strength, flexibility and the humor injected into the mix made for one of the most entertaining performances I’ve ever seen. If you have not been to a Cirque du Soleil show, you’ve got to go! We have also enjoyed the Beatles Love Cirque show before, also compliments of Joe and Rose! Thanks so much!

Afterwards, we headed down to the old Vegas where the Golden Nugget and the “Fremont Street Experience” with the “biggest big-screen on the planet” reside.


On Tuesday the boys went golfing...


and the girls went to the Trump Spa! Oh my goodness – it was so heavenly. I felt so pampered and spoiled!! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip. When our treatments were done, we ate a great lunch on their pool deck café. Such a peaceful afternoon.

We got ready and headed over to the Venetian for the Blue Man Group. I could have sworn that my brother wrote this show. It was such an amusing fusion of subtle comedy, music, and science. I recommend it, too!




The Bellagio flowers had a Chinese New Year theme, so I was definitely enjoying some of my favorite foliage as we walked through the exhibit after the show. We had a nice dinner nearby and reflected on the trip’s happenings and life in general. It was a truly meaningful time with wonderful family. Thanks, Joe and Rose for treating us and the quality time we spent with you!!

Wednesday brought ridiculous charges at the airport for baggage. Really, US Airways? We won’t fly with you again! Their staff must have been overwhelmed, too, because everyone seemed very angry! So after enduring all that, we made it to also sunny, warmer Phoenix and into the arms of Spence’s grandparents. After spending the afternoon catching up, we ate out that night at P.F. Chang’s where I introduced Gram to Dan Dan Noodles! (Dan Dan Noodles are the most delicious way you could ever eat noodles, just in case you were wondering.)

The next day we went shopping with Gram! We helped her find some cool new tennis shoes, and so generously she treated us to several goodies. That night we ate at a place called Chevy’s where I had crab enchiladas. Yum!

Friday morning Spence and I climbed Camelback Mountain. FYI, if you also do this, go early or park far away! The parking was so frustrating that we almost had to leave. Anyway, it was a really great hike! We enjoyed the view from the top and then made our way back down in the glorious sunshine.





At the Top!



After eating some lunch back at the house, we suited up for golf with Grandpa and had an equally magnificent afternoon. We ate dinner at Carrabba’s that night. Spence had never been, but he liked it! I had their lobster ravioli. Of course, it was delicious. =)

Gram took some pictures on our last day there (ok, every day we were there), but I don’t have any of them. Maybe she’ll send me some. I wish I could post them here!

We had to leave Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday, because the flights were a little questionable on Sunday morning and Spence had to be back for work on Monday. We stayed the night in Chicago and then made our way home Sunday morning.

THE BOYS were waiting for us at home! They were all in one piece because their Auntie Kate took such great care of them!! We had really missed them.


The trip was the relaxing, refreshing, entertaining, meaningful, and full-of-sunshine break we needed!
A huge THANK YOU
to everyone that made it happen! Now it’s back to the grind for Spence. He’s in the Pit until early May. After that, any pain involved in the rest of his residency will seem much more bearable. He’s almost an R3! He has handled himself so well, and I’m so proud of him!

Until next time,

No comments: