
Well, here we are again! Another year behind us, and a year full of promise ahead of us. I always seem to meet the New Year with bountiful optimism (which is good). I also always write down my goals for the year, which have seemed to be the same for the past few years (not sure if this is a good thing or not =). It probably is, since most of them have to do with being more loving and giving to others, and we always have room for improvement there!
I have been avoiding writing my “Holidays OH Nine” post mainly because I feel like I have so much to do at the moment that a task such as this should be placed on the back burner until a more appropriate time. BUT! Since doing this is cathartic, stress-relieving, and really fun for me AND I’m awake in the middle of the night which makes a few of my “ToDo” items a little impossible to complete right now, there’s no time like the present!
What has happened since my last post? Well, I did previously post our annual note for the first time, which covered a lot of bases. I’m excited about several things for this year! Spencer will be done with his second year of residency this summer, which is very exciting because the second year is famously the worst! I know of at least a few trips we’ll be taking in the coming months that will be really fun, and I always ALWAYS SO look forward to traveling! I love my home, but I love to explore! My brother and his lovely wife will be having their first baby this summer! Weee!! I can’t wait to see what little life they create! It’s going to be so much fun! I’m also starting grad school in the fall, which I’m sure will prove to be challenging but fun. I’m a sucker for school anyway… (Thanks, Mom.) This year also begins with an injury-free, healthy body for me, which means I can get back out there, get back in shape, and have fun going on excursions with my energizer-bunny decathlete husband who never tires from physical exertion (sickening). ALSO! I’ve come across a lot of fascinating and compelling literature/knowledge about food and nutrition which is really changing our kitchen and cuisine choices for the better. (And, more importantly for us, I actually have a little bit more time now to care and the power to make the changes.) I’m sure I’ll write a separate blog on the subject before too long.
Before the holidays when the fall colors were still on fire, Spence’s dad came to down with an ol’ buddy (named Hal, who unfortunately believes the only good food in the world is either French or Italian

). We drove while they rode their motorcycles to Speculator, New York. There we stayed at a cute little bed and breakfast that offered such a picturesque setting. It was a really great getaway that we needed at the time! And it is always really wonderful when family comes to stay in town. Hey José, now we have a real guest room bed for you to sleep on! We went back to Tulsa in November, which was a treat. I got to see all of my dad’s new operations at DestinationsEFC. I’ll have to write another blog about that, too! But for now, here are some fun links:
Destinations Executive Flight Center Site
DestinationsEFC Blog
Thanksgiving was spent here in New York. We were both working and ended up eating our official meal of gratefulness at the Cracker Barrel. But don’t feel sad for us; it was delicious!
In December, Spence started his first seven week stint in “The Pit,” which is part of what makes his second year so lovely. It’s 24 – 28 hours long, every other day, six days a week (for that whole seven weeks). It’s miserable for a variety of reasons, but at least he’s now two-thirds of the way done with his whole Pit experience. He has another seven weeks coming up in about two months. Then no more Pit rotations, only the occasional shift a few times a year. Yeah!
Woosley Gobi Bear’s 2nd birthday was at the end of November. He got his yearly people food treat of a plain McDonald’s hamburger, which can be seen here… (Meixel Goose got a plain snack wrap on his birthday this month, because he loooooooooves chicken! He nibbles his treats, but gets crazy eyes. Bear swallows.)

The Christmas season came, and I tried to scurry around and get all of our decorations out and up as quickly as possible. I knew the whole month would pass by quickly, and I wanted to enjoy every moment! The Saturday after Thanksgiving we carried on our tradition of going to one of the huge tree farms here and cutting down (let's be honest - sawing forever) our very own Christmas tree. Spencer picked an Austrian Pine last year, so this year I really wanted a Frasier Fir! I found the prettiest one, I’m sure! We encountered a few challenges along the way (as seen below), but it was fun (and cold!)
Of course and as always, the boys came.


We found the tree we wanted, but Woosley was ready for a nap.

He wouldn’t give up, so Spence gave in.

Finally we got it cut down! Spence carried it to the stand where they shook it and wrapped it for the trip home.

This is the final product. So beautiful!
FYI, most of these pictures are courtesy of my Dad =)

Can anyone guess what this is? It’s our most expensive ornament by far!

).
THEN! THEN! THEN! My mom and dad came into town! It was SO wonderful to have them here. They were such wonderful company among us (zombies). They cooked amazing food and made us laugh and cry. We were totally spoiled on Christmas day and every other day they were here. And of course, my dad used his handyman genius to spruce up several things while he was on VACATION. They are just the best, and we were so blessed and elated to have them here during such a special time. Thank you for coming, Mom and Dad (and Henry!)! We love you!!
Out and About with Mom and Dad




Christmas Eve Deliciousness… This picture is only some of it and could never express the wonderful tastes of the night!

Monkey Bread! SO good and SO bad for you! But it’s Christmas!

Henry came!

His bounty (picture was so cute, I had to include it!)

The boys waiting patiently for some Christmas treats.

Spencer got his Cornish game hen (Ew!)! I teased him that we would NOT be cooking this for Christmas day, as is tradition in his family. We didn’t eat any really, but we made it for him. He loved it and was pleasantly surprised we actually did it!

He also got his beloved Thunder shorts he wanted so badly. =)

Last week we celebrated our third year of being married! It has gone by so quickly, of course. We went out for a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant called Two Vine. Yum! Before we know it, we’ll be celebrating year five!

Some of our current winter wonderland…

Backyard, above and below

Down our street

No kidding!

We definitely didn't get as much snow this year as last year! Yet!
Through all that’s happened this past year with my health, injuries, getting adjusted to a new place and culture, meeting new friends, and the struggle of figuring out exactly what I wanted to do as a career and going over major speed bumps to get there (I definitely could write a chapter to myself now about dealing with difficult people!), I have emerged a better, stronger person. I’m just so grateful that the challenges of the last year (which wasn’t really my favorite of all years to be honest), I really tried to extract the best out of it and move forward. I have an extraordinary life with a loving, generous family and a husband that is truly a dream come true, and I just want to experience that on a daily basis instead of getting caught up in all the stress this world has amply to offer.
So I heard a phrase randomly about loving what’s good for you, and it’s become my motto for this year. Love What’s Good For You. So often we resist what’s good for us and create stress by fighting what’s best. Instead, why not just give in, embrace life and seek out what’s good for us? If we are loving what’s good for us, then we no longer resist it, but feel more like we want to do the right thing, the healthy thing physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I’ve found thinking this way helps take the stress out of striving to be perfect, but instead makes it a peaceful endeavor. If I’m loving what’s good for me, then “healthy” choices become my natural choices.

Make sense? I hope so! I’m ready for my best year yet, our best year yet, full of hope, love, adventure, growth, beauty... And my prayer is that it all gives glory to God.
As I leave 2009 in the past, I reflect on the verse that pulled me through my greatest challenges of that year:
“Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. GOD, your God, is with you every step you take.”
[Joshua 1:9]
And now I know it.
We wish a happy and healthy New Year to you all!

No comments:
Post a Comment